The WTF! Show

One of the better MP4 players from China

February 5th, 2007 · 20 Comments

Update: one of our readers (Thanks Kosmikos!) sent us this link to get the right software converters for this player:

I’ve got the same player, had the same conversion issue. The converter can be found here

It’s called Mini-Mac. Need to use screen resolution 320×240. Even though manual says resolution is 220×176. If you use other resolution it’ll end up as file format error. Take a long time to figure it out.

Also I realised that the flash memory cannot be access when you’ve the mini SD in there. Have to update them separately.

In the process of looking for WTF! show material, I am always looking for gadgets to play with and recently stumbled upon this little cool video player.

The brand is called Orient, but I am sure it is called something else in other countries. It is one of the many cheap MP3 video players mass-produced from China (the most famous ones are the fake iPod Nanos). This puppy does MP4-encoded avi video, MP3, FM radio (can record FM too), and has 2GB flash memory, 2.4-inch TFT screen (very good and bright screen, supposedly a Samsung TFT) and a mini-SD slot.

Note that it DOES NOT play MP4 files like the iPod, so don’t be fooled by the MP4 name. All these players from China are called MP4 players though they play other video formats. Converting video files to its special avi format can be a pain, and the included CD had a version 1 converter that created videos with audio sync issues but a newer version of the converter solved that.

But once the files are in there, mp3 and videos play very nicely. Just be prepared to deal with video encoding issues. I suppose you can queue up the videos you want to watch on your PC, and batch-process the whole lot overnight, then copy them all over when done the next day. A little kludgy but it works.

Oh, it does not seem to work properly on Macs, but no problems on a PC running Windows XP. Too bad, the white colour looks very iPod.

It also comes in black and silver, something like this black model from Chinavasion. Singaporeans have no need to buy from online stores, of course, we just get it from our Temple of Tech, SLS.

The interface is teh sux but functional. Battery life seems quite good (I am testing the video battery life at the moment). The construction seems a lot better than some of the crap mp4 players from China that’s out there and so far, I think the 2GB memory is really 2GB (some of these knock-off players have fake memory listed, like it says 1GB but there is only 256MB in it, so beware).

USB cable and (average) headphones are included. I picked up $32 Kingston 2GB mini-SD card to make the total memory 4GB (mini-SD prices have plunged lately). I think the wife will be pleased with this $155 player.

Small and compact, but all screen. Sweet. It could all fall apart tomorrow, who knows, but so far I’m quite loving it.

• Digg
  • del.icio.us
  • Netvouz
  • DZone
  • ThisNext
  • MisterWong
  • Wists
  • Furl
  • Slashdot
  • Technorati

Tags: Blog

20 responses so far ↓

• mb // Feb 5, 2007 at 5:34 pm

Wow look! A Test comment!

• Erchie Gan // Apr 9, 2007 at 4:37 pm

I recently brought one during the IT show n last then a week it spoil ..n i lost the recipt..I need the contact of the distributor in singapore . Can u help ..or do u know where is the location of the company in singapore thk u…

• Caulibeam // Apr 12, 2007 at 10:07 pm

Hi bro. i was working at the it fair selling this. its level 6 of simlim square. the company is nasa technic or something. they are the main distributor.

however, i think without the receipt its quite jialat.

• Tran Van Tri // May 27, 2007 at 7:47 pm

Hi Bro. I also have an Orient MP4 player that I bought at the Singapore computer show lately, but I still have problem with the audio sync . I had just downloaded the Avi MM converter but still have problem. Do you happen to have the tel number of Nasa Technics at Sim Lim Square?
    Thanks

• Edward // May 28, 2007 at 7:01 am

Thanks for the review, had exactly the same ‘file format error!’ due to incorrect supplied software. So you solved a whole lot of hassle for me! Quite impressed, picture quality is great (longer battery would be nice though).

• hemanth // May 30, 2007 at 1:47 am

hi can any one help me? i stored a file in my orient 1gb .it was a movie .it was in avi format.now the player shows disc error.whn i put files on it it says to format.please any one tell me what to do.

• adrian // Jun 6, 2007 at 2:51 pm

tnx bro for the info

• BOY // Jun 10, 2007 at 6:29 pm

Hi!I have an alike-ipod mp4 of Nasa Technics My PC needs driver to access the mp4. Can U show me where to find the driver THX!

• Ting // Jun 19, 2007 at 11:17 pm

Just saw 3 versions in SLS and they even have camera and video recording and games functions. Same brand but looks a little different from ur pics. So not too sure if it is the same.

Just wandering will this “mp4″ player be too tough for those IT “idiots” like me to use? Read abt all those formatting stuffs and totally clueless abt it. =P

• mayur // Jul 6, 2007 at 11:36 am

i have got the same MP 4 player from Singapore and the PC is not able to detect can anyone help me

• Atul // Jul 7, 2007 at 2:44 pm

i have got the MP 4 player from Singapore and the PC is not able to detect can anyone help me. Am visiting the dealir @Sim Lim square tomorow. will try to get the solution from him. Meanwhile if anyone has found the solution pls post it on the site

• Courtz // Jul 12, 2007 at 10:20 am

I just bought a fake ipod 2GB Orient mp3/mp4 player from Singapore and WinXP doesnt recognise it. Does anyone know where i can pick up a driver for a PC?
    Cheers

• saravana kumar.T // Jul 20, 2007 at 3:46 pm

I just bought a fake ipod 2GB Orient mp3/mp4 player from Singapore and WinXP doesnt recognise it. Does anyone know drivers for this ipod.

• mayur // Aug 4, 2007 at 11:51 pm

hey i too got it from Simlim and it dosen’t plays videos can any one help its just waste of money i guess…………i gave is as a gift and its so embarrassing…………

• Shelly // Aug 9, 2007 at 9:05 pm

Hey there, I recently bought a 4gb one in singapore and the average head phones have broken. Im in uk now and the headphones over here dont seem to fit. :(

• SUBASH // Sep 3, 2007 at 8:27 pm

hai i bought a orient 1gb mp4 player but i dont know wht software i should use to copy movies from my pc to the MP4 my PC Movie format is AVSEQ PLS can anybody help me …..

• Trang // Sep 16, 2007 at 11:07 pm

HEELLLLP !!! Even after installing the AVI-MM Converter for mini-mac from the website http://www.nasatechnics.com/software/ It still doesn’t work !!! The file seems to be in but the mini-mac doesn’t recognize it…

Thanks in advance for your help as I’m really starting to be depressed !

• Trang // Sep 21, 2007 at 4:52 am

For those who are a little bit slow with IT like me, don’t forget when you convert your file to write down in the target file the extension .avi !!!! The converter won’t do it automatically !!!

• BODDY // Oct 10, 2007 at 9:27 pm

I bought this player from SLS too. Works great! the dealer has other special offers too. Their better quality of earphones works very well with this AVI player. Wish battery life was longer tho.
    I know Nasa Tech is in 6th floor. But not sure of unit number. u shd visit them.

• ahmad // Oct 13, 2007 at 7:11 pm

i am fram lebanon i bought a good mp4 fram a moll not fram the fake ane on street